Web mapping application for Hivemapper
Planning drone mapping expeditions with Hivemapper Studio
We created Hivemapper Studio to allow users to plan drone mapping expeditions. User-created maps from drone flights can generate income by uploading the detailed maps to Hivemapper.
Hivemapper came to us with an initial design and concept and we developed the web application front-end for Hivemapper following their design specifications. In addition, we created a backend to do the processing for the application and to run Python scripts to generate mapping paths.
Features of the work
- We used the Mapbox API for mapping and geographic processing
- We created a backend to process user selections, run Python mapping path scripts and return instructions to the user
- We used the Uber-created hexagonal spatial index to allow users to pinpoint locations
- The application communicates with a backend MongoDB NoSQL database to gather detail on the mapped hexagons
- We used Akita for state management
- TurfJS is used for client-side geometry manipulations