Work on projects that matter: Our projects often focus on critical public health issues (e.g. air and water quality), health equity or environmental conservation
Learn and work with new technologies: As a small and nimble team we are constantly learning and using new and exciting tools and frameworks
Work and live in a vibrant college town: Ithaca is consistently rated as one of the best places in the US to live
New Position: UX/UI Designer
If you have a passion for great design and clean practical user interfaces we want to talk with you. We are looking for candidates with UX/UI skills and an artistic sensibility focused on typography, color, scale and composition. A candidate with experience working with data and producing data visualizations would fit in particularly well. The designer would work closely with our senior software engineer and the rest of the team to bring life to data-driven web apps.
Skills and Experience
What you will do:
- Collaborate with the senior software engineer (Chris) and data scientists (Zev and Hollie) to determine required app functionality and initial workflow
- Create wireframes and mockups to flesh out initial brainstorms
- Determine site-wide style guides for ensuring consistent design
- Code and implement design ideas for application front-ends
- Analyze usage data and traffic patterns
- Fluency in best practices for web-based information architecture and design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles
- Well-developed illustration, typographic layout, and artistic skills
- Some professional experience in UI/UX design including design for mobile sites
- Proven experience in designing responsive websites and applications across desktop and mobile
- Portfolio of interaction design and visual design
- Strong drive to tackle coding challenges and come up with solutions
- Ability to work in a small, fast-paced team setting
- Excellent communication skills
Bonus skills that strengthen your application:
- Experience working with data: this might include web-based data skills such as experience with D3, HighCharts or other tools as well as experience using tools such R, Python or SQL.
- Experience making interactive maps with tools such as Google Maps, Leaflet, Mapbox, CartoDB (or others)
- Experience with geographic data, GIS, spatial analysis
We are a growing data science shop focused on working with and visualizing data. A significant chunk of our work involves creating rich data-driven and interactive web apps usually with maps and other graphics to help clients tell a story.
The data science industry has been growing dramatically over the past several years and you’ll have an opportunity to be part of projects that combine modern data analysis and visualization tools in an effort to make sense of data and convey key messages.
Our office is in heart of downtown Ithaca, NY; a vibrant college town in the Finger Lakes of New York State. Ithaca is consistently listed as a great place to live due to its walkability, lively downtown and proximity to natural features (waterfalls!). For example, Ithaca was ranked:
- Best college town in America (Business Insider)
- 2nd Best Small College Town in the US (USA Today)
- Top 25 Youngest Best Places to Live (CNN Money)
- Top 10 Great Places to Live (Kiplinger’s Personal Finance)
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Health and dental benefits
- Health savings account/flexible savings account
- Performance-based end of year bonus
- Paid vacation and additional paid sick/personal time off
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- A commitment to work-life balance
This position is intended to be full-time and local in Ithaca. We would consider less than full-time and/or remote work but your interest in a part-time/remote position must be included in your cover letter.
Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should be “Application for UX/UI Position”. Questions about the position should also be e-mailed to email@example.com but the subject should be “Question about UX/UI Position”.
Your application materials should include:
- A cover letter explaining your experience and reason for wanting this position. Indicate in the cover letter whether you are willing to work full-time in Ithaca, NY. Please include a brief discussion of how you work and what kind of tools you like to use.
- A resume/CV
- A list of three references
- Links to relevant portfolio material, this can include existing websites, materials on GitHub or other materials that can help us evaluate your work.